Saturday, October 8, 2011

Lifelong Learning


Information overload has often caused me to question my commitment to lifelong learning.  However, once in a while, something happens to confirm that curiosity has its rewards.
At Harrisburg University, I’m enrolled in the Learning TechnologiesMaster of Science Program.  My first class, in the summer of 2008, was Implementing Web 2.0 in the Classroom.  Jim Gates, an inspirational and dynamic instructor, introduced me to the world of collaborative learning on the internet.  Now, three years later, I’m still discovering new ways of finding, processing and creating information. 
Spicy Nodes by idea.org is a tool to organize learning.  It takes the on-line graphic organizer a step forward.  Students in the Family and Consumer Sciences classroom have been using https://bubbl.us/ and mindmeister.com to map goals and SMART objectives, plan lessons for the preschool, and organize community service events.  They’ve collaboratively created Prezis and Google Docs to illustrate stages of development and energy management in the home and community.  Spicy Nodes combines the best features of the on-line graphic organizers and the presentation tools.   With great anticipation, I look forward to offering them the opportunity to produce a relevant project to demonstrate their knowledge and creativity.

No comments: